Sunday, February 15, 2015

Starting

I made it on the treadmill twice this week.  It wasn't an amazing workout by any means--I walked for 20 minutes.  Slow.  As in a 20-minute mile pace.   That's right, if you've done the math, you've realized it took me 20 minutes to walk ONE mile.  And by the end, I was completely exhausted.  This getting into shape post-baby is hard.  Chaim is 5 months old, and I think walking up and down the stairs to do laundry should constitute my workout for the day.  It doesn't, I know, but it feels like it should. 

Once upon a time, pre-Chaim, I was running all the time.  One day, it just clicked in my mind that I wanted to be healthier.  Diabetes runs in my family, and suddenly I was terrified of not being able to walk with both legs in my future.  Suddenly I had willpower to say "no" to brownies, ice cream, cake--anything!  Sure, I had the occasional treat, but I was a driven woman.  I hopped on that treadmill almost everyday, went trail running whenever I could, and loved it.  It felt so good to have energy and be healthy.  I ran a half-marathon in Huntsville, and could even walk the next day! 

That's me in the gray pants:

Hooray!  I get my hug from Scottie, who had cheered for me with the kiddos.

 
 


My friend Katie had run the 5K that day, too!  She did so great!

 
And the cutest part--they let all the kids run a "mini race" around the block.  They all wore the "Number 1", since they were all going to win!  They made the race this very big deal for the kids, which Noel loved!

 
 That's Noel on the other side of me.  I had already changed clothes, but still wanted to run with her.  Halfway around the block, I was regretting my decision.  That block was harder than the entire half-marathon!

 
Her prize was orange juice...the kid couldn't have been happier!

 
Me and Candace Bahm--who ran the race with me.  Go Us!

 
 
So, that was in September 2013. 
 
And now, I've got to figure out how to find that same fire to run again.  I don't have any answers right now.  I thought they would come as I was writing this, but they didn't.  So, I'll get on that treadmill again this week, and just keep going.  Because sometimes, as I am learning, I just have to start. 
 


1 comment:

Aimee said...

I'm positive you'll find that fire. It's just who you are.