Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Finding the Helpers

We turned on the computer last night after dinner to find a job posting; two hours later, we still sat there, stunned. Not knowing the answer, or even the question to ask.  As we watched video after video, I wanted to see something of hope.  I've never been to the Boston Marathon, and I didn't know anyone running it this year--but I don't think you have to know someone to still feel the pain others are feeling.

Today, I continued to think and pray and feel empty inside.  I called my best friend Mary, and we talked about it.  She had heard a quote by Mr. Rogers on a news program that went like this:

"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, 'Look for the helpers.  You will always find people who are helping." 

It doesn't erase all the pain for the families, but it is a light in the middle of pain.  In the midst of people running away from the bomb blasts, others went to help.  They stayed.  They comforted.  They were the helpers.

I can't help but ask--if I was there, would I be one of the helpers?  And since I am here--will I be a helper where I can?


No comments: