Thursday, December 15, 2011

"Morning Sickness"

Juliet woke up at 5:00 a.m. this morning, crying and in pain.  She's teething at the moment, a rite of passage all infants must pass through, and which all mothers hate.  She had her bottle, screamed some, and was trying to settle back to sleep.  I thought I'd give her some teething gel, which quickly made matters go from bad to worse.  She threw up all over herself, me, and the couch.  I think I'm pretty good at handling throw-up, but this was a little much for me.  Then, Noel woke up because Juliet was crying.  By now, it was 5:30 in the morning, and I was ready to call it a day.

We had to change clothes for everyone-obvious for Juliet and I, but also a necessity for Noel after she tried helping me clean up the mess on the couch.  She is such a little helper, and was grabbing wipes as fast as she could.  I was doing all of this solo, minus the little munchkin's help, as Scott was already at work.  Some mornings I really detest his 4:00 a.m. shift...make that most mornings.  But actually, in a situation like this, Scott wouldn't be all that much help.  He can't clean up throw-up.  If he so much as smells it, let alone touches it, he begins to puke as well.  This was a great help when I was pregnant and throwing up 24-7...

Well, by 7:00, Juliet had calmed down enough to start over.  She had a little bit of water, a few sips from her bottle, and then fell asleep from sheer exhaustion.  Noel kept going for another hour, until she finally collapsed in her highchair.  She had insisted on eating breakfast, of which she consumed two bites.  And now, it's 9:00 a.m., and I'm exhausted as well.  And for some reason, I'm writing about what happened instead of taking a nap myself.  Until now, as I close my eyes while writing this...

3 comments:

The Neves Family said...

I must admit that when I read the title of this I was excited to maybe getting a little nephew, but then I realized that you would have told me a lot sooner. Hope lil Juliet is feeling better. Love you!

Aimee said...

Remind me to never complain about my 7 am morning start ever again! You're awesome!

Kristen said...

Wow, Brooke, I thought you were pregnant again from the title. Poor little girl, and parents. Hopefully it all ends soon.