Tuesday, March 5, 2024

2nd piece to submit

 I've been working on a longer piece to submit to a different online magazine. They ask for pieces from 600 - 2200 words (quite a range). I pushed myself to write a longer piece, and then trimmed it down a bit to come in at about 1500 words. I had my sisters read it, then my mom and dad, then my friend Kim. 

Kim is an exceptional writer. She was probably the best writer in our high school, and she's continued since then. We met up on Wednesday for a hike and I was so excited to talk to her about writing. For years she's been gently asking if I was writing, and I never was. How in the world was I going to compete with the real writers? I didn't have anything to offer. But somehow in the past year, I've re-gained some hope in my own abilities, as well as my ability to grow and learn. I can keep working at writing and improve. I can work at writing. 

She also edited my essay over the weekend, and she's been very supportive. She had great feedback, and I've used it to make a better essay. I'm not sure if it will be published, but I'm really proud of it now. It's what I wanted to say. And I'm learning how to write better with it.

As soon as Scott gives it a read, I'll submit it. Hopefully tonight or tomorrow. 

I'm going to start working on another piece as well. Once one is in, it's important to keep moving forward. I also am using the guideline from copywriting and getting clients to hearing back about writing essays for magazines - if I have time to be worried about a piece getting published, I'm not sending out enough queries. I actually haven't thought too much about the BYU magazine post to be worried about it being published, because I was working hard on the 2nd piece (lessons while teaching C. to ski).

So, instead of worrying about either piece getting published, I'll move on to the next piece and try to finish it in the next week and submit it as well.

While copywriting too - and getting clients that way. I really don't have time to worry - there's so much to learn and do! I'm going to look at all of this as a gift and blessing, which helps me be excited with the learning. If I just focus on income, it feels like drudgery. If I focus on how lucky I am to have time to write and learn a new career, I feel incredibly lucky. 

Lucky me. :-)

With that, I'll head off to start on another piece. 

No comments: