Thursday, March 14, 2024

Disarming with Humor

Juliet is quite clever.

She's good at reading situations and people. She's good at reading me.

One particularly bad morning when all the things go wrong no breakfast, running out of shampoo in the shower, and having to scramble to find somewhat-clean socks in the dirty hamper we loaded up in the car running late and drove to school. When I asked if she had a required school form with her, she played her cards right.

She fessed up to it, and then before I could say anything, launched into her own gag (is that the right word). "Kids these days - they don't remember anything! You ask them to pack their bag the night before, and they put it off. Then they wake up late, which makes the parent late..it's so infuriating!" 

She paused for a second - giving me time to insert anything.

It was so disarming. I laughed. I didn't even think - it was my natural reaction without a thought.

When I dropped her off at school, it felt good. I felt good.

She's clever enough to pull this off. And nice enough to not rub it in my face. 


No comments: